We can all agree that 2020 was one crazy year, full of hardship, challenges and odd energy!
Growing up, whenever we had a streak of bad things happening or getting sick, my grandmother would do an incense burning and praying ritual to clear the negative energy surrounding us. I always found these rituals comforting, soothing and special.
As we enter a new year, I wanted to share with you my go to rituals to clear energy….
5 Tips to clear negative energy:
- Burning Incense: Burning incense is used in a lot of cultures and religions to clear negative energy and cleanse a space. In the catholic religion, it is believed that when you burn incense (bakhoor) it is a symbol that your prayers are rising to heaven. You can burn sage, myrrh, Frankincense or Palo Santo while saying a prayer or reciting the things you want to clear from your home or life.
- Declutter: Decluttering your home helps you feel lighter and less burdened. It will clear stagnant negative energy and create space/room for energy to flow! Decluttering is also a great way to let go of things from the past. If 2020 taught us anything, it is that we can live with so much less. Declutter everything you don’t need, don’t use or don’t love. I am a huge fan of simple, minimal living (as you can tell from my beauty line!), and I am ruthless at decluttering. But if you struggle with giving things away, try thanking & blessing the items when you depart with them to shift the energy as Marie Kondo suggests, or just think how these neglected items can bring so much joy to someone else! You can give your stuff to a local charity, a thrift shop or someone in your community that is in need.
- Burn/Shred/tear: Sit down and write everything that is weighing on your heart and that you want to release. After you are done writing, read it one more time and then burn the paper, shred it or tear it into tiny pieces. I promise that after putting everything down on paper and burning it/shredding it you will fill a weight lifted off your shoulder and feel more focus and clear minded.
- Talk a walk-in nature: Nothing is more grounding and calming than being out in nature. I feel that nature connects me with something bigger than me and makes me feel calm, centered and grateful. Not to mention you will feel less stressed and anxious and have a clear mind to either just be or problem solve.
- Dance party: Energy healers suggest clapping to clear energy but I feel silly doing it! Instead, I choose to have a silly dance party with my boys! A good old dance party, with blasting music and dancing/clapping is sure to change your mood and clear any negative energy that is lingering around from the day or year!
Take an intentional cleansing soak bath: This is a physical and emotional cleanse! light some candles and soak in a bath with rosewater, sea/epsom salt or dried roses. Think about all the things that no longer serve you & the negative energy you want to “cleanse”. See all the negativity and burdens symbolically go down the drain.
Finally, the most important step after clearing the energy is to focus on what you are grateful for. Write down all the good things in your life; small & big… When we focus on the good things we attract more good things into our life.