We all know that cleansing is how any great skincare routine begins. It’s the best way to ensure a clear, gorgeous and glowing skin. In fact, without effectively washing your face first, the rest of your routine may be completely pointless. But what about the technique of “double cleansing”? While the name may sound daunting, the technique of double cleansing is easy to implement, only adds on a minute or so to your routine and has some seriously amazing benefits. Read on and I’ll explain why this double-duty practice is worth the minimal time and investment.
Here at Papillon, we’re all about keeping it natural and simple. So, it may seem crazy for us to be promoting the idea of “double cleansing”. But here’s the thing…..while splashing your face with only water in the morning is sufficient ( and actually recommended, especially if you have sensitive skin - unless you had a long workout session). We believe that double cleansing the skin in the evening is a must to insure a proper removal of all makeup and dirt from the day.
What is double cleansing?
Double cleansing is exactly what it sounds like- cleansing your face not just once but twice. The process involves using an oil-based cleanser first, to help dissolve any makeup, sunscreen and impurities that may be sitting on the surface of the skin. This is then followed up by a second water-based gel, cream or foam cleanser, to remove any lingering debris and really give your pores a deep and thorough cleanse.
Why should you double cleanse?
Cleansing is the most important part of any skin care routine. It’s what sets everything else up for success, really, so I think it pays to spend a few extra minutes on this step. Why? Over the course of any day, your face accumulates layers and layers of grime (gross, but true). Think of all the products you slathered on that morning, paired with pollution, dirt (from things like your cellphone) and sweat. At the end of it all, your face is simply not what you started with; no matter how intentional you are about keeping it clean. So, it's highly unlikely that you’ll get everything off in one round of cleansing. Here are seven incredible benefits of double cleansing:
- A second round of cleansing will clean much deeper into the pores.
- Using an oil-based cleanser first will soften the drying effects of a water-based cleanser.
- Using two different types of cleansers will allow you to fight the different types of impurities that your face encounters (makeup vs. sunscreen vs dirt).
- A second round of cleansing will allow for products to penetrate into the pores more easily and work their magic. This is especially important for overnight products, when our skin rejuvenates itself.
- Double cleansing assures that any treatment and moisturizing is not done in vain.
- Using an oil-based cleanser will keep skin hydrated. As an added bonus, many are full of nourishing and anti-aging antioxidants.
- A second round of cleansing will help to brighten dull skin over time.
When should you double cleanse?
Even if you don't wear makeup regularly, it’s a still a great idea to double cleanse daily. It is mostly beneficial at night when you have makeup and sunscreen to remove. As with anything, double cleansing isn’t a one-size-fits-all technique. It will really all come down to your lifestyle and particular skin care wants and needs. With all of the products out there to choose from, it can be overwhelming to find your dream team of cleansers. Don’t just grab the first you see. Do your research and really read labels. Ingredients matter!
How do you double cleanse?
- Use an oil-based cleanser or pure oil of choice ( Read this blog to find out which oils are suitable for your skin type ) and gently massage it into your skin with a soft sponge or washcloth ( Papillon Facial Oil Cleanser and Konjac Sponge are great for this). This goes on top of your makeup and sunscreen, onto dry skin.
- Rinse your face with lukewarm water to remove the oil-based cleanser and any grime you’ve scrubbed off.
- Use your regular water-based cleanser normally (I personally love Vanicream for this step).
- Move on to the rest of your skin care routine.
Have you tried double cleansing before? Let me know in the comments below!